By Beryl Rawson
- Provides up to date learn on family members constitution from archaeology, artwork, social, cultural, and financial background
- Includes contributions from confirmed and emerging overseas students
- Features illustrations of households, little ones, slaves, and formality lifestyles, besides maps and diagrams of web sites and dwellings
- Honorable point out for 2011 unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences PROSE award granted by way of the organization of yank Publishers
Read Online or Download A Companion to Families in the Greek and Roman Worlds (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This construction heritage of the mum presents tremendous new insights into Bertolt Brecht's theatre and drama, his effect on political theatre, and the connection among textual content, functionality, and politico-cultural context. because the in basic terms play which Brecht staged within the Weimar Republic, in the course of his exile, and within the GDR, the mummy bargains a special chance to match his theatrical perform in contrasting settings and at varied issues in his profession.
The difficulty of the Jews deeply engaged Milton all through his profession, and never unavoidably in ways in which make for cozy or reassuring studying this day. whereas Shakespeare and Marlowe, for instance, critiqued instead of recommended racial and non secular prejudice of their writings approximately Jews, an identical can't be acknowledged for Milton.
Adapts Mikhail Bakhtin's concept of the ugly, in addition to the newest in gender and psychoanalytic concept, to the key works of acclaimed southern author Carson McCullers. This leading edge reconsideration of the subjects of Carson McCullers's fiction argues that her paintings has heretofore suffered less than the pall of slim gothic interpretations, obscuring a extra subversive schedule.
Narrative examine has during the last 15 years built into a world and interdisciplinary box. This quantity collects fifteen essays which examine narrative and narrativity from numerous views, together with literary experiences and hermeneutics, cognitive thought and creativity study, metaphor reviews, movie concept and intermediality, in addition to reminiscence experiences, musicology, theology and psychology.
- The Poetry and Poetics of Gerald Vizenor
- Jonathan Swift and the Eighteenth-Century Book
- The Sky of Our Manufacture: The London Fog in British Fiction from Dickens to Woolf (Under the Sign of Nature)
- Adverse Genres in Fernando Pessoa
- The Stronger Sex: The Fictional Women of Lawrence Durrell
- Poetry, Geography, Gender: Women Rewriting Contemporary Wales (Gender Studies in Wales)
Additional resources for A Companion to Families in the Greek and Roman Worlds (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)