By David Krasner
A historical past of recent Drama: Volume II explores a notable breadth of subject matters and analytical methods to the dramatic works, authors, and transitional occasions and pursuits that formed global drama from 1960 via to the sunrise of the recent millennium.
- Features designated analyses of performs and playwrights, interpreting the effect of quite a lot of writers, from mainstream icons reminiscent of Harold Pinter and Edward Albee, to extra unorthodox works by means of Peter Weiss and Sarah Kane
- Provides international insurance of either English and non-English dramas – together with works from Africa and Asia to the center East
- Considers the impact of paintings, track, literature, structure, society, politics, tradition, and philosophy at the formation of postmodern dramatic literature
- Combines wide-ranging themes with unique theories, foreign point of view, and philosophical and cultural context
Completes a entire two-part paintings studying sleek international drama, and along A historical past of recent Drama: Volume I, bargains readers whole insurance of a whole century within the evolution of world dramatic literature.
Read or Download A History of Modern Drama, Volume II: 1960 - 2000 PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory_1 books
Visions of post-apocalyptic worlds have proved to be impossible to resist for plenty of 21st-century writers, from literary novelists to fable and younger grownup writers. Exploring quite a lot of texts, from the works of Margaret Atwood, Cormac McCarthy, Tom Perrotta and Emily St. John Mandel to younger grownup novels similar to Suzanne Collins's The starvation video games sequence, this can be the 1st serious creation to modern apocalyptic fiction.
During this significant venture David Keenan interprets and contextualizes over a hundred stories from the Notes from the Hut for reading the delicate, a suite of 1,200 stories and observations by means of Chi Yun, certainly one of eighteenth century China's major intellectuals. through illuminating ignored elements of the interplay among renowned and elite cultures in past due imperial China, this examine portrays the wealthy connection among lifestyles and letters at the eve of the Western impression.
Sidney's Defence of Poesy—the foundational textual content of English poetics—is often taken to provide a version of poetry as perfect: the poet depicts beliefs of human behavior and readers are encouraged to mimic them. Catherine Bates units out to problem this obtained view. Attending very heavily to Sidney's textual content, she identifies inside of it a version of poetry that's markedly at variance from the single presumed, and indicates Sidney's textual content to be feeling its means towards aquite different—indeed, a de-idealist—poetics.
Surrealism begun as a circulation in poetry and visible artwork, however it became out to have its widest effect around the globe in fiction-including in significant international writers who denied any connection to surrealism in any respect. on the center of this booklet are discoveries Delia Ungureanu has made within the files of Harvard's Widener and Houghton libraries, the place she has stumbled on that Jorge Luis Borges and Vladimir Nabokov have been tremendously indebted to surrealism for the construction of the pivotal characters who introduced them international status: Pierre Menard and Lolita.
- The Age of Lovecraft
- The Essential Elements of the Detective Story, 1820–1891
- The Routledge Companion to Inter-American Studies (Routledge Literature Companions)
- Paths to Contemporary French Literature: Volume 2
- The Mary Daly Reader
- Postcolonialism and Postsocialism in Fiction and Art: Resistance and Re-existence
Additional info for A History of Modern Drama, Volume II: 1960 - 2000